wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, 27 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time.
This article has been viewed 467,582 times.
Phone technology has changed rapidly in recent years, allowing with a variety of different methods for making phone calls. While cell phones have grown much more popular, it can still be very important to be able to make calls from land lines as well as calls through the Internet.
Method 1 of 3:From a Cell Phone
1Open the "Phone" application. Depending on what brand of operating system your phone uses, most phones will have an application used to make calls. This application will usually resemble an image of a phone or be labelled "Phone" and be located on the home screen of your device.
- Other or older models of cell phones may have their phone "application" located as a button or key on the phone.
2Dial the number you want to call. In your application's or on your phone's keypad, dial the number you want to call. Make sure your phone number consists of all necessary numbers such as the number's area code. Press "Call" (usually a green button with a phone icon on it) to begin your call.
- It's important your cell phone has service and is able to make calls. If you have not purchased a cell phone plan or a working subscriber identity module (SIM) card inserted in your mobile phone, you will not be able to make calls on your cell phone.
3Call an existing contact if you'd prefer. On your phone, open up the "Contacts" icon or application. A list of saved contacts will appear and you can find the name of the person you want to call. Here you can view your contact's information to find out their number and to call them.
- Some smartphones will have symbols that resemble a phone located beside your contact's name or number. Simply press the symbol to dial the number.
- Some mobile phones will display an option to "Call" the contact". Select this option to begin your call.
4Hang up. Depending on the model of your cell phone, ending a call can be done by waiting for the other person on the line to hang up or by touching a button or icon on your phone to hang up.
- Most icons or buttons that end calls will be red.
- With flip phones, you can simply flip the phone closed to hang up.
Method 2 of 3:With Skype
1Register an account on Skype. Go to Skype's website or open your Skype application and click "Create an account" and register if you haven't already. Enter the required information on the "Register" page. Skype requires you to register an account in order to use Skype.
- When you're registering, you will have the option to add credit or a monthly subscription to your Skype account. Skype is an alternative way to dial locally or internationally. Rates will differ depending on where you're from and which region you are choosing to call. Skype Credit is a pay-as-you-go phone service while monthly subscriptions offer you packages based on who you want to call. X Research source
2Download Skype. In order to make calls, you will have to install Skype as an application on your computer or smartphone. Go to Skype's website and click "Downloads". Select your computer's operating system, mobile device, or other device that you wish to use for Skype.
- Alternatively, your computer or smartphone should have a Skype application you can download directly from your operating system's app store such as the App Store for Apple products or from the Google Store for Androids.
3Sign in. Once you have installed Skype, you can sign in using the username and password that you registered.
- If you have forgotten your password or username, click "Can't access your account?" to reset or recover your account information.
4Skype a contact. You can choose to have a video or audio-only call with a contact or several contacts at the same time for free. To make a Skype call with a contact:
- Add your contact or contacts. If you have the Skype username of a friend that you want to call, click on the "+" icon near the right-hand side of your window that is next to the "Search" bar.
- Click "Add Contact...".
- Enter the username and click "Find."
- Add the contact once you have found them by clicking the green "+" button on the right side. You can send a message to your friend or contact to let them know who it is.
- Wait for your friend to accept your contact request.
- Click your "Contacts" icon on the left side of your Skype window.
- Choose how you want to Skype your contact. For each of your contacts, you will see three buttons to the right of their name. The left-most blue button initiates a text chat, the middle green button initiates a video call, and the right-most green button initiates a phone call.
5Make a phone call to a phone number. This is different from Skype calling a contact which you can do fore free. Instead of calling someone's Skype, you are actually calling someone's phone number which may be connected to a landline or cell phone. A connection fee may also apply depending on the region that you are calling to. In order oo make a phone call on Skype:
- Make sure you have enough credits or that you have purchased a phone plan from Skype. If you do not have enough Skype credits, add credit to your account by clicking the button below your display name in the top left. Or purchase a subscription plan on the website.
- Click on the phone icon in the top right portion of the window. This will bring up a phone number pad on your screen.
- Dial the number. You may have to add a country code, which can be easily done by clicking the downward-facing arrow on the number pad.
- Press the green "Call" button to begin your call.
6Hang up. Whether you called a contact or another phone number, you will see a red "Hang Up" button. Click on this to end your call.
Method 3 of 3:From a Land Line
1Make sure the phone is working. You will need to check several things to ensure your phone is able to function:
- Check to see that the phone line from the phone set is plugged into a phone jack in the wall.
- Make sure you are covered by a phone company. In order to make any calls, your phone must be covered and activated by a phone company.
2Remove the handset. Phone sets can come in all shapes and sizes, but most will have a handset that can be removed from the rest of the device so that you can hold it to your ear and mouth.
- If receiver piece does not have a keypad on it, it should be connected to a second device with a keypad and receiver dock. Ensure your receiver is connected to a dock.
- Portable landline phones will have their own docking station to be charged but otherwise do not need to be connected to it at all times.
3Wait for a dial tone. After you have picked up the handset, hold it to your ear and make sure that you hear the continuous buzzing sound that tells you that you are able to make a call.
- Portable landline phones will have a button you will need to press in order to start a call. In most phones, this button will be green or labelled "Call" or "Dial".
4Dial the number you want to call. Depending on the type of phone you have, you can do this by pressing buttons on the handset or keypad. Make sure your phone number consists of all necessary numbers such as the number's area code.
- Your call should automatically go through after you complete dialling. A ringing tone should sound.
5Hang up. When you are done with your conversation, hang up the phone. This may be different for different models of phones. Some phones have a hang-up button (often colored red), while others must be placed back into the cradle on the phone set.
- If you do not hang up properly or forget to, you will hear a beeping sound that tells you to.
QuestionI want to call somebody, but I don't want my phone number to appear on their phone. How do I hide my number?Community AnswerwikiHow has an article that covers making your mobile number appear as a private number, which you might find helpful.
QuestionHow do I make a phone call from an iPad?Community AnswerUse FaceTime, Skype, or another audio/video chat app. You can only use your iPad to make phone calls through apps.
QuestionHow can I make a phone call with Facebook?Community AnswerYou will need to use the messenger app and have the person you are calling already on your friends' list. Open up the messenger app, then click on the person you want to call; this will bring up the conversation window. In the upper right corner of the conversation window, there should be an icon that looks like a telephone. If you click on this icon, you will be able to call this person.
Skype and other applications that make calls through the internet require you to have a stable internet connection.
If you are calling someone internationally, your phone company may charge you an extra connectivity fee.
- Even if the call is encrypted, the call can still be recorded and used by law enforcement if they have a search warrant, so be careful on what you say over the phone.
About This Article
To call someone on a cell phone, start by pressing the phone button on the phone's screen or keypad. Then, dial the number you want to reach, including the area code. Once you've typed out the number, click the call button to place the call. When you're done on the phone, end the call by pressing the end call button on the phone's screen or keypad, which is usually red. If you're using Skype or making your call from a landline, keep reading to learn more!